Hi,

The only difference between replicated and partitioned caches is that the
former has a primary node (as any partitioned cache) for a key while all
the other nodes are treated as backups.

An affinity function knows that difference but use the same logic to map a
key to a partition and the partition to a primary and then to backups. You
can get info from that section:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/v2.0/docs/affinity-collocation#section-affinity-function

Hope this makes things vivid for you.

--