I need to be a bit more specific I guess.
I need the ability to create new caches, or to update the configuration of
existing caches.
When updating the configuration of a cache other caches should not be
affected - so a node restart is not a great option.

Would this plan work:
- The controller contains a client node; and also serves XML configuration
for all cluster nodes through a REST endpoint
- When an existing cache configuration is updated, the controller
  1. updates the persistent configuration that it returns through the REST
endpoint
  2. destroys the cache
  3. Recreates it use GetOrCreateCache

I assume that 2. and 3. above will propagate the changes to the entire
cluster? And 1. should take care of any late joiners or future restarts?

Franck