> Would you stop Ignite & start it again??
Yes, I meant that. You can't tell Ignite not to take compute tasks, you can
only configure compute tasks not to be executed on certain nodes. So, the
first run will be to read configuration, the second one - to execute tasks
and do everything else. To avoid rebalancing, you can configure node
filters for caches as well:
https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/org/apache/ignite/configuration/CacheConfiguration.html#setNodeFilter(org.apache.ignite.lang.IgnitePredicate
)

> Both the “start twice” and the “dynamic cluster group solution” do not appear
to work for Affinity??
Affinity doesn't have anything to do with cluster groups. I recommended you
to use cluster groups to separate nodes, that are reading configuration
from those, which execute compute tasks.

What about synchronization? This solution seems to be the easiest.

Denis