Hello,

As of Apache Ignite 2.x, all data are stored into off-heap memory [1].
On-heap memory is used only for temporary operations, buffers etc.

> Also, I have my own cache store implementations. I hope this is only used
> for read through and
> write through from and to database and not for loading or writing to
> ignite durable memory.
> Can someone confirm this too?
Yes, that is correct.

> Again is it possible to restrict the number of entries kept in the memory
> while loading data into cache ?
> The rest can be kept in the durable (disk) memory.
I think that you need to configure eviction policy [2] and use Ignite Native
Persistence [3].
Please take into account that 'Durable' [4] memory is not the synonym of
'Native Persistence'.

[1]
https://apacheignite.readme.io/v2.5/docs/durable-memory#section-in-memory-features
[2] https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/evictions