That would be no problem since you can set the language explicitly with a
property like -Duser.language.

I know that Oracle database has such defaults when you install it, but you
can configure it afterwards to other timezones etc. This is not uncommon to
do so.

If you have a better idea of improving the language configuration in
JBehave you are free to suggest another idea.

I prefer convention over configuration wherever possible. One solution for
this is using the platform locale. Another one is that JBehave detect the
language automatically (which would be a bit harder to implement).