We did face a similar issue in the past, and found that the accept header
set by the HttpClient was being rejected by the Swift3 middleware.  We
replaced it with apache httpclient, and it worked. Perhaps you could give
it a try.

            Iterable<Module> modules = ImmutableSet.<Module> of(new
ApacheHCHttpCommandExecutorServiceModule());

BlobStoreContext context = ContextBuilder.newBuilder(new S3ApiMetadata())

            .endpoint("http://myserver:8080";)

            .credentials(username, password)

            .overrides(overrides)

            .modules(modules)