Hi Ken,

Not all providers have an API to effectively manage firewalls, but
most that do, implement the jclouds SecurityGroupExtension [1]. You
can get it by calling:

context.getComputeService().getSecurityGroupExtension();

That will return an optional that will be present if the extension is
supported by the provider. You'll see in the javadocs that it has
methods to create and manage security groups, and also to configure
the ruleset set for each. Once you have configured the security
groups, you can create nodes and assign them to the desired security
groups by using the TemplateOptions#securityGroups() method [2].

Alternatively, in some providers that don't support the security
groups extension, you can still use the TemplateOptions#inboundPorts
[3] to open ports in the nodes you create.

HTH!

I.

[1]
http://jclouds-javadocs.elasticbeanstalk.com/org/jclouds/compute/extensions/SecurityGroupExtension.html