Thanks to all of you giving such a wonderful feedback, I got it , thanks
again

-----Original Message-----
From: sebb [mailto:seb...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:03 PM
To: JMeter Users List
Subject: Re: standard/benchmarking value for loading a web page

On 22 August 2012 16:30, Adrian Speteanu <asp.ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would also recommend JMeter's wiki for this one. There you will find
> links & references to resources useful that try to cover general
concerns
> (regarding performance testing, industry "standards"/expectations,
good
> approaches and also results interpretation). There aren't good quick
> answers, nothing "short" compensate for the experience of the people
who
> wrote those materials.
>
> But since that might take a while, as a quick answer I would add that
it
> depends  A LOT  on the type of page that you want to load. And you
also
> have to know your end-users expectations... - users quit if pages are
slow,
> usually, but if the data is very valuable to them, they might wait
(you see
> there's a lot to talk about, for news pages and a blog page they won't
wait
> too many seconds, if their banking page take 20s they might wait, if
> someone wants a report with analytics, they will wait minutes for it
> load in the web page). So don't generalise, just make sure you
understand
> stakeholders and end-users expectations first and then balance that on
what
> your developers can deliver realistically. You decide what is
acceptable or
> not. For "industry standard", take a peek at the competition, see how
they
> fair - try to beat that.

Also, if the site is one that users return to often, having a
consistent experience is important.
If it always takes 4 seconds to load a page, people will get used to
that, but if it can take between 1 and 10 seconds depending on server
load that is more annoying.

Any site will slow down given sufficient traffic, so you need to know
what traffic your site is designed for, and make sure it handles that
with some margin.

When overloaded, the site should ideally start to fail gracefully.

> --Adrian S
>
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Robin D. Wilson <rwils...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I don't know about everyone else, but we use 'benchmark' to evaluate
the
>> difference between one release and the next. The value of
>> benchmarking (to us) is to track the change in performance over time
of
>> our system.
>>
>> It certainly is nice to compare to some arbitrary "standard", but
that's
>> only a secondary value - the primary goal is to make sure
>> we are not getting slower with each release.
>>
>> --
>> Robin D. Wilson
>> Sr. Director of Web Development
>> KingsIsle Entertainment, Inc.