So even though I'm recording the data results, I'm going to get different
results based on whether or not I'm using the GUI?  The docs mention that
is not the case and the results should be the same.  The main difference is
that I'm seeing the data results in GUI mode, which results in a .jtl file
of about 2.5 Mb (xml) as opposed to the CLI mode where the response data is
not recorded (even thought it's the same exact jmx file), and the resulting
.jtl file is all of about 40 K (xml).

As for the differences between the 2 machines, one's a server, so a bit
more powerful (Xeon vs Core2Duo), and more RAM on the server.  The
properties files for Jmeter are exactly the same.  But I'm getting more
results from my less powerful workstation than I am on the server.