I think I got it all sorted out.

The test file had specified saving response data errors, but the
jmeter.properties file didn't.  Once I uncommented these lines (to match
the test file) - response_data, response_code, response_message and set
them to true, I got results similar to what the GUI was outputting.  I'm
running the tests again to verify I get similar sizes on the jtl output
file, so I'll know for sure soon.

The command that I'm running is just /usr/local/jmeter/bin/jmeter -n -t
Top_Pages_Tests_Alpha.jmx -l top_pages.jtl -j jmeter.log.

Also, I'm doing testing to get this all set up and running and reporting
via Jenkins.