Huh. Then there's a disconnect somewhere: As I said, this technique works
fine for me in M3 and M6. If I turn off the preview, I can edit the page
fine. There's indeed an error where it is trying to create the script
element during preview:

[Error] NotFoundError: The object can not be found here.
removeChild (haddock.js:1:15374)
exec (haddock.js:1:15374)
success (haddock.js:1:89108)
(anonymous function) (haddock.js:1:17784)
onStateChange (haddock.js:1:84471)
(anonymous function) (haddock.js:1:17784)
(anonymous function)

in this code in haddock.js:

            var r = e.createElement("script");
            r.setAttribute("type", "text/javascript"), r.text = n,
e.head.appendChild(r), e.head.removeChild(r)

Thanks for pointing me to JSPluginScripts
<https://www.ecyrd.com/JSPWiki/wiki/JSPluginScripts>; I'll check out what
it does. If it no longer works I can probably get it back into order.

On an unrelated note, Firefox warns of this:

Cookie “JSPWikiUserPrefs” will be soon rejected because it has the
“sameSite” attribute set to “none” or an invalid value, without the
“secure” attribute. To know more about the “sameSite“ attribute, read
https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Set-Cookie/SameSite

Is that on someone's radar already, or should I open a JIRA ticket for it?