Hi Brian,

to be "accepted" by the ASF, a patch has to be Apache granted.
It means that the author accept the ASF rules and IP convenience.

Regarding this, we have two ways:
1/ create a patch (using git diff or pull-request), attach to a Apache Jira, and when attaching, click on "ASF granted patch" 2/ the other way is to add an header in all file of the patch that mention that you grant license to ASF.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure that (2) is valid (I have to ask to the legal team), that's why (1) is the preferred way as explained in the Apache guildelines (http://people.apache.org/~bayard/process-draft.html)