Indeed, it was a permissions problem. Thanks! :-)

The error message was misleading, at least for somebody new to Karaf. Perhaps
the launcher could check for permissions and fail on error. Just a thought.

In any case, thanks to everybody for a super response! I’m not sure how active
the community is, but there seem to be some very dedicated members.

Cheers,
=David