I have used Hibernate successfully (including Hibernate Search) in an OSGI /
Karaf environment.

If you have some specific questions, i’d be more than happy to help.

I have found that Hibernate has some examples of OSGI implementation using
Karaf.   Karaf has the “features” ability to add all the dependencies, in the
right order, for the file you are using.  In fact, i think Karaf now has a
built in “hibernate” feature, although i built my own features to fine tweak
the dependencies and usage.   Once Hibernate is available as a service (and the
configuration depends on either you are using native hibernate session factory
or JPA entity manger), you can have your annotated entities classes in a
different OSGI bundle and use them as any other bundle as you describe.

The down side of the current OSGI hibernate setup (which is really just a “make
it work” set up, and newer versions of Hibernate are promised to make it more
OSGI like), is that you need to use the Hibernate.cfg or .xml file to configure
that data source and register the entity classes.

The examples described in
http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/orm/5.0/devguide/en-US/html/ch17.html
<http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/orm/5.0/devguide/en-US/html/ch17.html> do a
good job getting you started.

You can have your entities in a separate bundle if you wish or in the same
bundle with your session factory singleton.