Tom integrating karaf development and bndtools development has been tricky
but it is getting better.  Karaf development is centered around Mavens
build process while bndtools is centered around a custom workspace in cnf.
This release bndtools will be supporting maven and you can see the latest
post here https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bndtools-users/VcQ2rsb--Pk
You can see how to include karaf features in a bndrun file in Christians
examples here https://github.com/cschneider/osgi-chat and the new cxf
example.  What I do in my build is I include a features.bnd file where I
map karaf features to bndrun runrequires/runbundles statements and I
include that in my bndrun files.  I have to separately maintain my
features.bnd and my features.xml.  I do this so I can build both a single
jar deployable and run in karaf and pax-exam.  Although the mixing of the
two build processes is hard it is becoming easier by the day.