Ideally, I want to be able to do:

java -jar my-karaf.jar

And I can override individual configuration files using some environment
variable convention.

On 01/13/2017 11:56 AM, Brad Johnson wrote:
Does it have to be an executable jar file or just a standalone executable? The
static profiles actually create and zip up a full
Karaf/felix/dependency/application implementation that when unzipped has all
the standard bin directory items.

Brad

From: Dario Amiri [mailto:dariusham...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 1:28 PM
To: user@karaf.apache.org<mailto:user@karaf.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Levels of Containerization - focus on Docker and Karaf

I use Docker and Karaf. I've never had a problem creating a Docker image of my
Karaf container. What I gain is freedom from having to worry about dependency
related issues such as whether the right JRE is available.

That being said there are some challenges when using Karaf to build 12-factor
apps. FWIW here's my two item list of what would make Karaf a more attractive
platform from a 12-factor app perspective.

1. The ability to inject Karaf configuration through the environment (e.g.
environment variables). Not just a single property, but an entire config admin
managed configuration file if necessary. Even the existing support for reading
property values from the environment is cumbersome because it requires having
to setup that relationship as a Java system property as well.

2. The ability to package Karaf as a standalone runnable jar. Looks like Karaf
boot is addressing this. I hope it comes with tooling that makes it easy to
transition to this kind of model.