For a custom distro, you have two approaches:

- using the resource approach, where you have cfg file in a project resource
folder. For this you have to use the resources or assembly plugins for instance
(as execution step).
- using <config/> in features.xml used for the assembly, using the karaf plugin

If you can share your project, I can fix stuff for you.