> Then there’s also the requirements to “feature” install cxf. That’s OK
> btw, I only have to do that once. But is there really no simple way to
> create a simple REST service using merely DS?

Take a look at these two:

 https://github.com/steinarb/post-body-capture
   A super-simple REST service/debug tool that just writes the POSTed
   body to a file, and the file name to the injected OSGi log service (I
   used it to see what sonarcloud was sending to its webhooks)

 https://github.com/steinarb/sonar-collector
  A REST service intended to be used as a postbuild SonarCloud/SonarQube
  webhook.  The service will store key numbers from the build in a
  PostgreSQL database.
  Nifty things here are using liquibase to initialize the PostgreSQL
  database and injecting config in the @Activate method, allowing the
  JDBC connection info to be configured from the karaf console.

Build and install information can be found in the README files.