Hi,

That’s exactly the purpose of extension in replacement of features: Karaf will
provides kind of "extension store", with "approved" functionalities.

You can see a extensions proto set here:

https://github.com/jbonofre/karaf5/tree/main/extensions
<https://github.com/jbonofre/karaf5/tree/main/extensions>

It’s exactly what you are describing: you have the extension market store, and
I will also add "extension bom" for developers (for now, extensions are
runtime).

Here’s the code to start Karaf with extension:

        KarafConfig config = KarafConfig.builder()
                .homeDirectory("karaf")
                .dataDirectory("karaf/data")
                .cacheDirectory("karaf/data/cache")
                .build();
        karaf = Karaf.build(config);
        karaf.init();

karaf.addExtension("mvn:org.apache.karaf.extensions/log/5.0.0-SNAPSHOT");

Then, you can simple run karaf with java -jar my-karaf.jar

With this approach, it’s very easy to have an UI to create this code.