On the mini cluster as a maven artifact:
The Beam KuduIO is in progress here [1], with Integration test (currently I
use Docker) and I just refactored the code so I could mock a KuduService
for unit tests.
It is an ideal time to try your current work Mike/Grant, as I'd use a
minicluster instead of mocking. Perhaps we should continue this on the dev@
list discussion I started a few weeks back [2]?
Do you have a build for OS X by any chance?

> I'm not really sure there is a lot of overlap between creating a Docker
> image and the kind of relocatable artifacts I'm trying to build, aside
from
> the actual compiling part.

I've had to manipulate hosts files with fake entries to get the Docker
images to work while the minicluster seemingly has a FakeDNS thing (?).
That might just be me doing things wrong though.

[1]
https://github.com/timrobertson100/beam/tree/BEAM-2661-KuduIO/sdks/java/io/kudu

[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ee697a022b72bbca2761b1af0581773d8fb708f701fc969bc259fc2d@%3Cdev.kudu.apache.org%3E