I've been able to create a nice modeling layer for using neo4j from Django.
I'll see if I can get it to work with the admin framework (and recover some
files that the Jython build.xml deleted for me) before I release it. I'll
try and find time for that ASAP, but I'm swamped at the moment so it might
take a while. Just wanted to let you all know that I have something, that
it's working, and that I'll publish it soon.

Happy holliday hacking!
/Tobias

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 12:11 AM, James Richards <hei...@mac.com> wrote:

> >> Along the
> >> lines of Django integration, this is something that I actually took a
> >> prolonged look at, in the midst of other projects.  I was interested
> >> in making Neo4J a swappable database backend for the standard Django
> >> orm.  The advantage of this is that Django Model and Admin classes
> >> could integrate directly with Neo4J.  There are some relational
> >> assumptions in the Django orm layer that are, probably, unavoidable
> >> in
> >> the current thinking on the "standard" web application stack.  I
> >> started to hack the Neo4J python layer into the Django backends but
> >> have been working on a different project for the last couple of weeks
> >> so I haven't returned to the initial code that I wrote.
> >

> > I've had a look at creating a Django database backend using Neo4j as
> > well,
> > but the relational assumptions were pretty discouraging. One thought
> > I had
> > was to implement a version of the model package (the ORM) that uses
> > Neo4j.
> > This would mean that you had to use a different (but very similar)
> > system to
> > define the model, but could then use the same application logic. The
> > big
> > downside of this is of course that it would not work with the Django
> > Admin
> > system, and the Admin system is one of the most appealing features of
> > Django.
>
> I ran into a similar conclusion regarding the relational assumptions
> of the orm layer.  This is what made me stop to see if I should
> rethink the strategy.  At the time I was the only person I knew who
> was interested in that approach so there wasn't much impetus behind
> the idea.
>
> > If you think it's possible to create a database backend without
> > having to
> > parse SQL that could be an exellent approach.
> > And if you would be willing to share the code you have started in that
> > direction it would be even better. ;)
>
> I think it's possible but I only spent a day or so on the code so I
> need to make something a bit more usable.
>
> > After my last e-mail I got an idea that I should have gotten
> > earlier: since
> > I'm doing a presentation on Jython and Django on Jython on Devoxx
> > next week
> > it would be cool to integrate Neo4j in that demo. So I would like to
> > get
> > something (that might not be perfect, but that works) up and running
> > by
> > then.
>
> I'm running on top of JPype at the moment but I can switch my
> installation back to jython.  I plan on making a very simple Django
> application that uses Neo directly to give myself a little more
> familiarity with Neo's API (have only been writing simple examples).
>
> >> What are your thoughts on integrating below the visible orm level?
> [...]

Tobias Ivarsson <tobias.ivars...@neotechnology.com>
Cellphone: +46 706 534857