I converted the xml file into decent format (see attached file) and
ran the example. Once again I get answers when running that query.

PREFIX ore:<http://www.openarchives.org/ore/terms/>
PREFIX rdf:<http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>
PREFIX orex:<http://library.lanl.gov/orex/terms/>
PREFIX dc:<http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/>
SELECT ?photo
WHERE
{
   ?s ?p  "outside"  .
   ?photo  ?x  ?s  .
   ?photo  ?y  "photo" .
   ?photo ore:aggregates  ?i .
}

I get 6 results back from that query.

There surely must something we do differently, but I don't know what.

Best,
Mattias