On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Anders
Nawroth<and...@neotechnology.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Regarding performance: you'll probably be better off using more
> realtistic data. Then having 100k friends shouldn't be the common case I
> guess! I think you can find some ways to create random graphs somewhere
> in the source code of this component:
> http://components.neo4j.org/graph-algo/
>
> To gain really high performance you could use multiple threads, but
> there's a lot to think about the get that kind of stuff right.
>
> For more performance tips, see the wiki:
> http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Neo_Performance_Guide
>
>>> Makes sense to me. One detail: make sure to use directed edges where it
>>> fits your domain when presenting this stuff! :-)
>>>

>> Is there another way of creating relations than with createRelationshipTo() ?
>> I didn't understand that.
>>

> There's no other way. But I don't get why you used bidirectional arrows
> for relationships that per the domain should be directed. Just a detail
> in your way to the describe the domain :-) -- Argentina doesn't live in
> Charlie, right?!
>
>> Setting objects as properties?
>>

> This is where you find the API docs where's such things are stated in
> detail:
> http://api.neo4j.org/
>

> /anders

I gave up my count(*) test and try something that hurts relational databases!

//Data inserted
So I have 4 persons (Charly, maxi, juani, laura) who buys 2 movies
each in a for loop.
That for loop runs 1k times.

//SQL
Database schema
http://code.google.com/p/grafos2009/source/browse/trunk/mysql/video/create.sql

Inserts are done with a python script that creates the inserts:
http://code.google.com/p/grafos2009/source/browse/trunk/mysql/video/test.py

Query to be done:
http://code.google.com/p/grafos2009/source/browse/trunk/mysql/video/queries.sql

//neo4j
http://code.google.com/p/grafos2009/source/browse/trunk/src/main/java/org/seminario/Seminario.java

SQL big select:
8000 rows in set (0.08 sec)

neo4j 8000 lines:
2950 ms.

Then I tried sql with 10k loop, and gave me (0.94 sec).

I can't beat sql :(
Comments are welcomed!

PS: I know the select in the db is not the same as I do with neo4j,
but calls my attention that big difference.