On 21 Jun 2009, at 05:04, Macarse wrote:
> I gave up my count(*) test and try something that hurts relational
> databases!

I think your example is still one which actually matches relational
databases quite nicely. Try this one as an example:

You have a social networking site, in which people can be friends with
each other; in SQL, you'd have one 'people' table and one many-to-many
join table with two foreign keys to the people table, representing a
'friendship' between two people.

Now you could have several goals:

- like LinkedIn, you want to show how many people are friends, friends-
of-friends and friends-of-friends-of-friends of a particular user
(without counting someone twice)

- you want to find the shortest chain of links which connects two
given users of the system (a kind of "six degrees of separation"
experiment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation )

You cannot do these with a single SQL statement, but you have to
iterate queries. That's where relational databases really start
hurting. If you cannot get this example to be faster in Neo4j than in
MySQL, I will be rather disappointed of Neo.

Cheers
Martin