Hi!

> I want to use neo4j to build a prototype of a social network
> application because of his graph structure and I have a problem when I
> try to filter and sort the nodes resulted from traversal.
> For example - I want to show a list with members of a group filtered
> by some property and ordered by another; I don't find any optimization
> for filter/sort operations in neo.

Regarding filtering, my first thought goes to using ReturnableEvaluator
when using a Traverser to find nodes. The ReturnableEvaluator decides
which nodes should go into the result. If you need to block traversal
beyond specific nodes or at a specific depth, have a look at the
StopEvalutor as well. You'll find some hints on searching in Neo4j here:
http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Design_Guide#Search
The evaluators are described in the core APIdocs:
http://api.neo4j.org/current/

The structure of the node space can also be used to implement your very
own indexing/search stuff. You can find a practical example of that here:
http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/IMDB_Search_Engine

For sorting, the simplest option is to do it in your own code.

HTH!

/anders