2009/11/20 Laurent Laborde <kerdez...@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Mattias Persson
> <matt...@neotechnology.com> wrote:
>> 2009/11/20 Mattias Persson <matt...@neotechnology.com>:
>>> The best way to achieve that is to create relationships to those
>>> nodes... such as
>>>
>>> ReferenceNode --[CONFIGURATION]--> ConfigurationNode
>>> ReferenceNode --[INDEX]--> IndexNode
>>> a.s.o.
>>>
>>> That's more of a neo-style-approach. The node ids persist over time
>>> until they are deleted and deleted ids may be reused in the future.
>> And I should add: so therefore it's not a good idea to store node ids
>> as properties, in any such case use a relationship instead.
>
> Ok thank you.
> So, when i run my app :
> - I check if the referenceNode have a relationship of type
> "configuration", "index", whatever i want. (traverser depth_one ?)
> - if yes, i can retrieve all the info i need on thoses various node.
> - if no : i create one of my "system" node. create a relationtype
> according type from referencenode to my new systeme node
> - and, finally : i do whatever i want with thoses new nodes :)
That's right, there's such a utility in the neo-utils component
http://components.neo4j.org/neo-utils/ where you do something like:

NeoUtil neoUtil = new NeoUtil( neo );
Node configurationNode = neoUtil.getOrCreateSubreferenceNode(
MyRelTypes.CONFIGURATION );

> The question is : isn't it much more simple to just store nodeID ? :)

The algorithm would still be the same woldn't it?

o Check to see if we have a "configuration" node (be it checking a
property or a relationship, see
http://api.neo4j.org/current/org/neo4j/api/core/Node.html#getSingleRelationship(org.neo4j.api.core.RelationshipType,%20org.neo4j.api.core.Direction))
o If not found then create a node
o If we created a node then connect it with the reference node (be it
via property or createRelationship)

And as we mentioned earlier it's not a good practice to rely on node IDs.

Neo Technology, www.neotechnology.com