I've tried this a couple of times now and first of all I see some
problems in your code:

1) In the method createRelationsTitleImage you have an inverted "head
!= -1" check where it should be "head == -1"

2) You index relationships in createRelationsBetweenTitles method,
this isn't ok since the index can only manage nodes.

And I recently committed a "fix" which removed the caching layer in
the LuceneIndexBatchInserterImpl (and therefore also
LuceneFulltextIndexBatchInserter). This probably fixes your problems.
I'm also working on a performance fix which makes consecutive getNodes
calls faster.

So I think that with these fixes (1) and (2) and the latest index-util
0.9-SNAPSHOT your sample will run fine. Also you could try without
calling optimize. See more information at
http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Indexing_with_BatchInserter

Neo Technology, www.neotechnology.com