Hi!

I've had a look at Gephi and it looks really interesting. One particular
thing I found interesting is the support for "dynamic graphs". I'm hoping to
be able to use that for creating animated sequences of how a traversal moves
through a graph. Not only would this be cool for demonstrations, but it
would also be very useful for visual debugging of applications. I've written
a small framework that captures all actions in a Neo4j Graph Database and
forwards them to a logging system, my thinking is that this logging system
would create a GEXF[1] file that can then be reviewed in Gephi or GEXF
Explorer[2]. Do you think that would work? Or would it be abusing the GEXF
format?

Peter said that he talked to you over IRC earlier, and that you are a
mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code. If you guys would find
that interesting we would be very happy to see a SoC project about combining
Neo4j and Gephi. I could write up a suggestion for such a project for your
wiki, and volunteer to as a mentor. I have previous experience with SoC as a
student 2007, 2008 and 2009, Google Summer of Code is so far the only way
I've managed to get payed to work on Jython. Among the projects that have
already been proposed I would like to put a vote on "Dynamic attributes and
statistics"[3] since that could tie in nicely with the visual debugging
system I outlined above. But being able to work with a Neo4j database from
within Gephi is a much cooler project ;)

We have a visualization toolkit for Neo4j that is similar to what I would
like to see from an integration between Neo4j and Gephi, but not nearly as
advanced and visually pleasing as Gephi. It's called Neoclipse[4] and is an
extension to Eclipse. My hope is to have Gephi be able to do all the things
that Neoclipse can do and more (and especially prettier), at the end of the
Summer of Code project.

Cheers,
Tobias

[1] http://gexf.net/
[2] http://gexf.net/explorer/ - I don't know yet if this supports dynamics
though (http://gexf.net/format/dynamics.html)
[3]
http://wiki.gephi.org/index.php/Google_Summer_Of_Code_2010#Dynamic_attributes_and_statistics
[4] http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Neoclipse
<http://wiki.neo4j.org/content/Neoclipse>
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Mathieu Bastian <mathieu.bast...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi, I'm Gephi main developper.
>
> I think Gephi fits to your needs because it can handle very large graphs,
> and propose innovative layout algorithms. On our 8gb ram machine, we handle
> 300K nodes and 1.5M edges, rendering is slow but it's still fine.
>
> But the problem you're describing is a layout issue. With traditionnal
> Spring repulsion or Fruchterman-Reingold algorithm, you have a O(N²)
> algorithm. Scaled to millions of nodes and edges, computing require hours
> for each algorithm pass. In Gephi we recently implement Yifan Hu's layout
> algorithm, that has a 0(nlog(n)) complexity. I recommed you to try this
> out.
> This problem is often references as multilevel graph layout algorithm.
>
> Cheers

Tobias Ivarsson <tobias.ivars...@neotechnology.com>
Cellphone: +46 706 534857