Hi,

Yes writing a dynamic GEXF file from the logs you are describing would work.
The GEXF dynamic support work like that: for each node or edges you can
define one or several time intervals. Intervals can be dates or numbers.
Better support and interaction with dynamics is one of the top project's
priorities.The GEFX Explorer doesn't support dynamics for the moment,
although it's in the developper's roadmap.

Yes I think we can do that, it would be great to have a Neo4j-Gephi SoC
proposal. Thanks for pointing Neoeclipse, it's summing up your needs in a
sense. I'm thinking how to integrates such features in Gephi. We have a
modular software architecture, built on top of Netbeans Platform. It's easy
to extend existing features and add plug-ins. So I think it's not a problem
to port existing Neoeclipse features to Gephi plugins and nicely maintain it
after. But could you please explain me how Neoeclipse reads and updates the
Neo4j instance in a few words, or pointing some resources? For us, we would
like to see a robust and fast interaction layer between Neo4j instance and
our Graph API. That would fulfill our off-memory graph structure aim in the
roadmap [1]. Loading very large graphs in Gephi, even if it is scalable will
always make the memory suffer at one moment. Having the complete Graph in
Neo4j, plus the ability to quickly get a sub-graph with a query and save
updates would be a great achievement :-)

Cheers,

Mathieu

[1] http://wiki.gephi.org/index.php/Roadmap