We are considering Neo4J for a decision making application. The application
is analogous to a Library having 15 million books. We have BOOKS, PUBLISHERS
and STUDENTS as nodes. Every book will have a PUBLISHED_BY relationship to
one publisher. STUDENTS may borrow a book, reserve a book or return a
borrowed book. Each is a relationship type meaning BORROWED_BY, RESERVED_BY
and  RETURNS between BOOKS and STUDENTS.
When we traverse starting from a publisher, the traversing speed is 200-1000
nodes per millisecond. This is pure traversal to get a book count by
publisher.
The Neo is failing us when we make a slightly complex query.
Starting with a publisher, retrieve all books that are currently lent out.
Starting with a publisher, retrieve all books that were borrowed between May
1 2010 and May 10 2010.
The response time we got was 1-2 millisecond per book.
Before running the test, we created between 0-3 relationships for each book.
We have seeded 15,000 students ,1000 publishers and 15 million books.
And the server is a 8GB RAM machine.
I wonder why the traversal is drastically slow?
Regards
SDev