Alex,

You are correct about the "holes" in the store file and I would
suggest you export the data and then re-import it again. Neo4j is not
optimized for the use case were more data is removed than added over
time.

It would be possible to write a compacting utility but since this is
not a very common use case I think it is better to put that time into
producing a generic export/import dump utility. The plan is to get a
export/import utility in place as soon as possible so any input on how
that should work, what format to use etc. would be great.

-Johan