I've written a Quasi-mashup which loads points from google maps using a
background thread in Spring to initially load points into neo4j, what I'm
trying to evaluate with the goal of simplifying the architecture is the
following:

1) Should I rejigger the tomcat service code to have a webservice call to add
points which would be called through the steps you describe below from google
or bing maps given that  I already have service API calls that do traversals
with pipes and shortest path calculations

2) Take the rexster and http approach to upload the points through some
automated process from my maps and stick with the http approach when doing
traversals through gremlin and shortest path calculations.

Also I am trying to play with neo4j-spatial and trying to figure out how to
leverage it moving forward

That was a mouthful :)
Sent from my iPhone