Saikat,
which approach to use - atomic REST calls or a server plugin to work
in the background - depends on the load of things. If you are
importing stuff in the beginning, I would not use REST. If you are
thinking about "normal" operations with moderate load, I think REST
will be fine.

Cheers,

/peter neubauer

GTalk:      neubauer.peter