2011/3/22 Massimo Lusetti <mluse...@gmail.com>

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Rick Bullotta
> <rick.bullo...@thingworx.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Massimo.
> >
> > When you say you are using an externally managed Lucene index, does that
> imply that you are not using the Neo index framework and interacting with
> Lucene directly?
>
> Summarizing, yes.
>
> My use case is that I have a lot of log row each of which need to be
> processed one and only once, so I calculate the hash for each row,
> store it in the Index and check for presence before process the log
> row. This way I can skip the already processed logs.
>
> My logs are already 220.000.000 (last December) and are growing fast.
>
> My tests shows that using the internal Index framework for such a big
> Index has very poor performance which using Lucene "externally" it
> doesn't.
> If you need numbers I think there'are some threads of mine in the list.
>
> For the records there's only one difference in the two solutions:
> using the internal index makes me index a Node while using the
> external index I simply put "1" in the indexed field cause I simply
> need to know if the key is present or not, I didn't study the internal
> of the Neo4j's Index framework but this difference probably could
> cause the difference performance...

Having index modifications transactional comes with a cost, I wouldn't
expect this much though. Another thing is that I'm planning to a an index
"type" which is one-to-one where you can index/query the lucene index more
performant in scenarios like this. Your solutions is even more specialized
for your case, so it's probably hard to match that :)