From: user-boun...@lists.neo4j.org [mailto:user-boun...@lists.neo4j.org] On
Behalf Of Achim 'ahzf' Friedland
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 1:44 PM
To: Neo4j user discussions
Subject: Re: [Neo4j] First-class "type" property on relationships but not
nodes; why?

Am 05.05.2011 19:19, schrieb Rick Bullotta:
> In general, I think it's a good idea to avoid strings as "types" for a whole
> host of reasons (performance, future renaming/refactoring, etc.).

Having type-ids for performance reasons instead of type-strings is okay,
but because of future renaming/refactoring?!?

What will you do when you have two seperate (semantic web) graphs on
seperate machines and now one of the graphs moves to the other machine?
Do you sync/renumber the type-ids of one of the graphs? Or do you
support two Ids for the same type-string? I think this problem is today
in the linked data area more important than supporting someone who just
want's to change the name of some vertices/edge types. For this we could
always use MapReduce (without the reduce of course ;).

In the end having type-strings or better type-URIs is slow but the only
real future-proof solution ;)

Cheers...
  Achim