2011/5/27 Balazs E. Pataki <pat...@dsd.sztaki.hu>

> Hello Ian,
>
> and welcome! :-)
>
> Reading the announcment about M03 ...
>
> http://blog.neo4j.org/2011/05/announcing-neo4j-14-m03-kiruna-stol.html
>
> ... I got excited about the "novel way of caching relationships based on
> their direction". Can you explain what it actually means and in what
> situations can we feel the performance boost?
>
> We previously had the problem that when a node has a couple of outgoing
> and lots of incoming relationships and we want to just traverse the
> outgoing relationships only neo4j seems to select the outgoing
> connections by going throuh all connections (the million incoming and
> the couple of outgoing) and deciding during iteration which is the
> outgoing. If this becomes faster by not sequentially deciding about
> relationship directions, than it would be awsome.

It kicks in when relationships have been loaded into the cache and you
request relationships based on direction and type, i.e. use one of the
getRelationships methods on Node, or just use the standard expander and
specifying directions. There and then it will only give you those for that
type/direction w/o needing to filter or touch the others at all. All
relationships still need to be loaded from the store though if they haven't
been loaded. For that to be as efficient there will have to be a store
format change and I'm sure that will come along also.