I have some clue about this problem. I did face it before, though not
with Neo4j but with other programs that intensive use disks. For
example, my linux box completely frozen by svn update command for huge
projects. The symptoms are same  : low CPU load with high iowait ( in
your message, I saw 23% for iowait load ).
MySQL faces the same problem:
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/?s=linux+high+io+wait
There are some recommendations:
1) Tune io scheduler for disk with database.
2) disable access time update: noatime,nodiratime flags for disk mount
command or /etc/fstab.

Not sure what it can help a lot, though.