On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Stefan Zapf <ste...@nerdocracy.org> wrote:

> "In relational database design, there are normal forms to guide the
> design process. Are there similar prinicples that apply to the design of
> graph databases like neo4j?

I haven't done anything with Neo4J yet, but in the past I implemented
a generalized graph management application (proprietary to the company
that I did it for), so this answer may not be 100% accurate for
Neo4j...  My experience has been that you still need to do your
logical modelling almost exactly as you would for any other database.
In fact, there is no reason a good ER tool can't be used to map the
major entities and their relationships.  You also want to continue to
look for normalization and abstraction patterns.  In the end, part of
the decision on which physical model (graph / relational) to use comes
down to many issues that are not necessarily directly related to the
logical model; read / write ratios, total data volumes, concurrent
access etc., but the logical model may be the same in both cases.

Peter Hunsberger