Hi,

I can comment on the spatial side. The
neo4j-spatial<https://github.com/neo4j/neo4j-spatial>library provides
some tools for doing spatial analysis on your data. I do
not know exactly what you plan to do, but since you mention user and place
locations, I guess you are likely to be asking the database for proximity
searches (users near me, or places of interest near me), in which case the
SimplePointLayer<https://github.com/neo4j/neo4j-spatial/blob/master/src/main/java/org/neo4j/gis/spatial/SimplePointLayer.java>class
should provide you what you need. Read the code (linked above), it is
simple. Or read the related blog "Neo4j Spatial, Part1: Finding things close
to other
things<http://blog.neo4j.org/2011/03/neo4j-spatial-part1-finding-things.html>".
You also do not need to include neo4j-spatial from the beginning. Just model
your graph in a way suiting your domain, and when you want to enable spatial
searches, include neo4j-spatial dependencies in your pom and start using it.
If you happen to conform to one of the expected spatial structures, you can
add you nodes to the spatial index directly, otherwise implement a
GeometryEncoder and things should work from there. What I think you might
find interesting is that you can edit the search mechanism to filter on both
spatial and domain specific characteristics in the same pass. There are
various options for this, so we can discuss that later, should you wish.

Regards, Craig