I'm assuming it wouldn't be very hard to add transactional integration with
MySql or any other database that supports transactions properly.

Neo4j is open source, the source is there for anyone to read.

    https://github.com/neo4j/community/tree/master/lucene-index

would be a good starting point for anyone to read and hopefully learn
something from. In there is the integration code which makes Lucene
transactional with the Neo4j graph. Just like Neo4j it's currently tied to
the JTA (Java Transaction API) and is mostly generic, but some parts are
specific to Neo4j. Although it can of course be modified to fit other
environments.

Best,
Mattias