Nevermind.

The issue was that, on machine B [Mac], the command
g = new Neo4jGraph("~/fulldb/mydbnameCopy2") didn't substitute the ~ for my
home directory.
Instead of accessing the existing database, it quietly created a new
database, which naturally had only the default indices and no data.
I hope the illustration helps somebody else who might make this mistake...
I would also recommend printing some message ("Creating new database at
...") when doing so.

Grace and peace,
WBT