Steven,
the index is built into the DB, so you can use something like
http://docs.neo4j.org/chunked/snapshot/tutorials-java-embedded-index.html
to index all your nodes into Lucene (in one index, the node as key,
the number of relationships as numeric value when creating them). When
reading, you would simply request all keys from the index and iterate
over them. I am not terribly sure how much fast it is, but given that
you are just loading up documents, Lucene should be reasonably fast.

Let us know if that works out!

Cheers,

/peter neubauer

GTalk:      neubauer.peter