Hey guys,

I just wanted to follow up on this. After some more digging, I had some
people suggest "Introductory Graph Theory" by Gary Chartrand. It seems to be
an excellent text for a beginner, but I will update this post once I get
through the rest of the book.

Also, Max and Rick's suggestions were excellent. Marko's article 'The Graph
Traversal Pattern' helped me fill in some gaps that, as a result, helped me
to understand the Gremlin syntax better. I also just got my copy of Puzzles
and Graphs. It was quite difficult to find, but this book is a ton of fun
and it's a really really fun way to exercise some of the concepts I'm
learning about. The book itself is worth buying and when you're done it's a
unique vintage book to put on your shelf. There is a pdf online that's
provided by the government so I'm assuming it's legal  but it only has 8-58
pages (in the wrong order) and I can confirm that you lose some valuable
pages:  http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED035552.pdf. I reached out to the
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics to suggest they publish the book
again :)