I'm definitely modifying the graph at the same time; that's why this is
happening. But my assumption was that that shouldn't be breaking Neo4j -- I
thought requests are transactional/serialized.

I don't have a repro test at the moment, but the behavior is really simple.
Here's an example analogy. We have a subgraph like User A [LIKES] Object 1
and also [LIKES] Object 2:

(Object 1) <--LIKES-- (User A) --LIKES--> (Object 2)

One operation will delete the [LIKE] to Object 1, while another operation
queries whether User A [LIKES] Object 2. The query can be a Cypher query,
e.g.:

START user=(123), obj=(456)
MATCH (user)-[rel]->(obj)
WHERE rel~TYPE = 'LIKES'
RETURN rel

But we've also seen this bug where we used a simple traverse (specifying
just max depth 1 and the LIKES relationship type).

When you say "looks like a normal case", do you mean that the query should
indeed fail like this? I wouldn't expect this -- what can I do to prevent
an error? Should I be retrying?

Thanks Peter!

Aseem