On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Nigel Small <ni...@nigelsmall.name> wrote:

> Following on from the relative URI work that Jim is looking at, I was
> wondering if there was any way that the entity URIs used for RESTful batch
> requests could be made more discoverable or elegantly derivable? Currently
> the only way I'm aware of to calculate a relative node URI, for example, is
> to hack around parts of the full URI:
>
> self._relative_uri = "".join(self._uri.partition("/node")[1:])
>
> Basically here I'm looking for the substring "/node" within the full URI
> and taking everything from that point onwards as the relative part which I
> use to inject into a batch payload. This is obviously somewhat dependent on
> this hardcoded part never changing and doesn't feel particularly like the
> most elegant way to achieve this.
>
> Thoughts welcomed!

Yeah, I think you mentioned this in the discussion on that ticket as well,
so this has been in my head a bit..

The thinking I had when writing the batch API was that URLs should be
relative as a means of forcing requests to stay "inside" the /db/data
resource. The reason for that is the transactionality of the batch API. The
idea is that the "db" part of /db/data at some future point will allow
pointing to other databases inside the same server (e.g. /myfirstdb/data
/myotherdb/data), and the transactionality of the batch API would only
apply within one database.

I do agree that it is an unelegant solution tho.. Perhaps we should allow
full URLs (or at least full paths), and instead throw a securityexception
or something if you don't include the /db/data path.

/jake

> *Nigel Small*
> Phone: +44 7814 638 246
> Blog: http://nigelsmall.name/