IRC is also used heavily in the hbase community and people do use it there
for install questions pretty commonly.

Whether this works is critically dependent on having guys like Mike Stack
who are able to keep an eye on IRC and answer the questions.  My own
preference is to use the mailing list for these support purposes because we
have such broad timezone distribution.