Yes, I'm suggesting that could at least be 80% of what you need. If you can
generalize that bit further and refactor it, all the better.

I wouldn't bother necessarily extending to support the "user: item item
item" syntax or else we'd get into supporting a lot of stuff. That
conversion IMHO can be left to the caller.