MahoutDriver is the closest thing to a single point of entry for all the
algorithms. It's for command line use but you can see what it does after
parsing args.

In general, most algorithms use Hadoop, so in general no there is not a
Hadoop free mode. Some bits have non Hadoop parts though that's the
exception.

Hadoop local mode works pretty fine, though it takes some work to package
it up for standalone use.