Ah-ha. That's clicked now. Especially as I read the comments and see it
already says exactly this.

And I understand that you just compute extra eigenvectors then throw out
near-duplicates, or those that are too un-eigenvector -- are there good
pointers on the alternatives for that, or are alternatives impractical? I
understand it's possible to re-figure the vectors it produces at each
iteration to be orthogonal, but don't know whether that's considered
unhelpful.