In general, you have to increase a JVM's heap size if you're running
anything that needs non-trivial memory. I think the default heap size is
still 32M or 64M, which is quite small for these purposes. So I am not
surprised if you must increase the heap size, in general.

It is still surprising to me that the 1M data set would work with a default
heap size but your much smaller data set would not. Does your data set
contain a bunch of different item IDs? Because the slope-one diff storage
scales with the square of the number of items. But, I doubt you do, and the
size of the diff storage is capped anyway.

I think there's something else wrong here, like your input is actually not
what you think it is, or something else you're doing is consuming a great
deal of memory. I would debug and/or profile to see where the memory is
used. For example you've not shown where the OutOfMemoryError is thrown.

Sean